In this thread, an apparently well-meaning new contributor has run into a roadblock. The situation as I understand it is as follows:
- This "vintage" Q&A has been "protected"
- Existing answers that were apparently correct at one time, may now be incorrect or incomplete.
- New contributors need a reputation of 10 to add an answer to a protected question.
While the logic behind the restriction on protected questions makes perfect sense, it also seems contrary to our objectives here to block a potentially useful and updated answer.
Solutions? A couple that come to mind:
- Post the answer temporarily on a "trial basis", and give the entire user community an opportunity to vote on its utility.
- Advance/loan the new contributor 9 points, thus allowing him to post his answer.